Banat items on eBay

Welcome to Electronic Banat
Banat Logo

Home

History

Maps

Books

Stamps

E-postcards.com

Guest Book

Postcards

Art/Music

Newspapers

Links

Tourbrochure.com

ROMANIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION, Grebenac

Români au colonizat Grebenatul undeva la începutul secolului 10 si români erau cei care au format Grebenatul nu Sîrbi care au venit în număr mare în Voivodina în 1690. Argumente: există cruce de piatră la cimitirul din Grebenat din anul 1297 si există document atestat la Wiena din anul 1345 unde sa purtat proces verbal la tribunal întră familia Luca si o altă familie.
by: Aurel Păuncu

Romanians settled en masse in the village of Grebenac as of the second half of the 18th c. However, judging by all indications, the temple was built in the first half of the century while the inhabitants of the village were still mostly Serbs. It is a rectangular structure with shallow choirs, a wooden semicircular- headed barrel vault rendered in mortar and a shallow open porch on the western side over which a Baroque-style gable wall with a bell tower was built. The church was reconstructed on a number of occasions but even though it changed its face with time it has retained a number of  interesting   archaic features characteristic of  older sacral architecture of the Vojvodina plain, like simple proportions and a low wooden mortar rendered vault. Only several such places of worship have been preserved in Banat. In the walls or next to the church have been built or erected gravestone markers, the remnants of an old cemetery. The carving of the iconostasis and the thrones  features single-pattern ornamentation of the Baroque classicist style.  The author of the icons on the  iconostasis is not known. They were all painted over in 1936 including those on the archbishop's throne and the throne of the Holy Virgin, where the year 1811 remained inscribed, which is also the date attributed to the iconostasis. Three important icons from the 18th c. have also been preserved: one in the icon painting manner of the Holy Trinity and two of a Baroque expression, of the Holy Virgin and of the Holy Archangel Gabriel. All three were conserved and restored in 1976.

 

Home

History

Maps

Books

Stamps

E-postcards.com

Guest Book

Postcards

Art/Music

Newspapers

Links

Tourbrochure.com


View my page on Banatul



Offering free Electronic Postcards since 1996


Blue Line
© 2000-2007 This site is maintained by Todor Krecu
Please send E-mail to Electronic Banat
Blue Line